Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Stop It At The Stoplights

Have you ever seen those people who stand at stoplights and incessantly push this button?

Are YOU one of those people?

I am not one of those people. I push stoplight walk signal buttons twice. Once because you have to, and the second to be sure the first push worked.

It annoys me when people wait at the light and jam the button over and over until the light changes. THIS DOES NOT MAKE THE LIGHT CHANGE FASTER. In the long run, it might even make the light change slower. The more you push the button, the more you wear out the contacts that make the button function. Thus, you might wear out the button and it eventually WON’T WORK AT ALL. So stop it. Twice is enough.

However, even though I’m patient at stoplights I don’t like waiting for elevators. I would rather take the stairs, even if it takes longer. It feels good to conquer gravity with your own set of quads! And yes, it also bothers me to be stationary while riding escalators. I promise I'm usually not that annoying person who zooms around the stationary folk, but hey, if the pathway is clear... fair g-a-m-e.

I bet you’re wondering why I am patient at stoplights, yet impatient with elevators and escalators?

The way I see it, impatience is pointless unless there is an alternative option. If there isn’t anything you can do about it, then why experience unnecessary anxiety? There is absolutely no way to “hurry up” a stoplight.

But walking up a few stairs instead of letting the elevator gods determine your arrival? Now that makes a difference.

For example, I rarely use the elevator in my apartment building. I would rather go through four doors, climb the stairs and go through the gross hallway instead of waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the elevator to go up one level. It also doesn’t help that the elevator reminds me of The Shining and often smells of animal excrement, but that’s beside the point. The point is I don’t like standing around if I don’t have to. My impatience is rationalized. Unless the elevator is in a skyscraper.

Or unless I’m tired.

Laziness always trumps liveliness after a 17 hr work day.


No comments:

Post a Comment